During the From Seed to Pasta conference, H2020 InnoVar project organized a session on the afternoon of October 26th, to present the project, its outputs, and discuss new ideas. This session was the first event organized by the project aimed at Scientific and Technical audiences. The conference took place in Regione Emilia-Romagna, in Bologna, from the 26th to the 29th of October, with 300 participants with different profiles, from researchers to seed merchants, from breeders to advisory services companies.
Fiona Doohan (UCD), the project’s scientific coordinator and Roberto Tuberosa (UNIBO), the organizer of the conference, chaired the session, where different f project partners presented the work developed in InnoVar in the last three years:
- Lisa Black (AFBI, Northern Ireland, UK) – Introduction to InnoVar
- Julio Sanchez (UPM, Spain) and Matteo Bozzoli (UNIBO, Italy) – GWAS for DUS examination
- Elena Prats (CSIC, Spain) – Multi-environmental field trials for next generation variety testing
- Danilo Sarti (NUIM, Ireland) – Machine learning and the InnoVar database
- Dina Lopes (CONSULAI, Portugal) – InnoVar communications and outreach
InnoVar’s session also counted with the presence of two external speakers, who are experts in their own fields:
- Eduard Akhunov (Kansas State University, USA) – Uncovering the regulatory landscape of the wheat genome and its role in yield components variation
- Silvia Giuliani (Assosementi, Italy) – The vision of seed companies on the future of official listing tools
This session had several questions from participants that were answered by the speakers, before the final remarks made by Hazel Brown, the project manager, that presented the conclusions and closed the day.